Co-parenting after divorce always presents some challenges for families. Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, these challenges may be even greater as you navigate these unprecedented times. One thing you should both keep in mind, however, is the importance of complying with your child custody order as much as you can and being flexible whenever possible for the benefit of your children.
Cooperating with Your Co-Parent
If you or your former spouse’s schedules changed, you may have to make some adjustments to your visitation schedule. Now, more than ever, problem-solving will be essential, so be willing to cooperate with your co-parent to make the situation easier and reduce your children’s anxieties and fears.
Here are some things for you to consider:
- Is your current parenting plan in the best interest of your children?
- Would it be best for one parent to handle homeschooling or are you both equally prepared to handle this?
- Do either of you have a job that exposes you to the public more?
- Are there other members in your household that have frequent interactions with the public?
- Are any of the members in either household considered high-risk?
- Do either of you have access to safe outdoor spaces for the children?
Additionally, it is important for you both to keep all forms of communication open, including emails, phone calls, and texts. Everyone is feeling a bit on edge and anxious about the future, so making an effort to respond in a timely manner will help get your family through this.
Lastly, once the pandemic is over, if one of you spent considerably less time with the children as a result of this crisis, some time should be set aside for parent and children to bond again.
Reach Out to Our Family Law Team to Discuss the Details of Your Case Today!
If you are experiencing some legal challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, do not hesitate to secure skilled representation to handle your case. At Fait & DiLima, LLP, our family law team is committed to providing compassionate support and knowledgeable advice and guidance. You can rely on us to get you through the obstacles you are facing during this trying time.