Enforcing a Child Support Order

Even after a divorce, parents will continue to have a financial obligation to their children. Generally, the parent with whom the children spend less time will be ordered to pay child support since it is assumed the custodial parent is fulfilling their financial obligation to them. If your co-parent stopped paying child support or fails to pay the amount in full, however, this may put you in a difficult position. Luckily, family courts take this matter very seriously.

How to Enforce Child Support

If child support was established and your co-parent fails to comply with the order, you should not hesitate to take legal action as soon as possible. There are many ways in which the court can penalize a delinquent parent and compel your ex to make these essential payments.

Here are some child support enforcement tools:

  • Wage deductions: Child support will be taken directly from your ex’s wages.
  • Intercepting federal income taxes: Your ex’s tax refund may be intercepted to cover missing or late child support payments.
  • License suspension and revocation: Your ex’s licenses may be suspended or revoked.
  • Passport restriction: A delinquent parent’s passport may be prevented from being renewed.
  • Contempt of court: In severe cases, a delinquent parent may serve jail time or pay a fine for failing to pay child support.

If your ex moved to a different state and has not paid child support for over a year, owes more than $5,000, or moved to avoid making payments, your case may be a federal matter and handled by the U.S. Office of the Inspector General (OIG). The punishment and penalties in such cases are often much harsher and may include up to 2 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

Speak to an Experienced Child Support Attorney About Your Case Today!

If your ex stopped making child support payments, do not put off taking legal action. At Fait & DiLima, LLP, our family law team will fight on your behalf to ensure the order is enforced and you receive the payments you need to care for your children. With more than five decades of combined experience, you can trust that our team will skillfully represent you and advise you throughout the process.

Reach out to our law firm today at (301) 251-0100 to set up a case review with a member of our team to get started and learn more about what we can do for you.



Rockville Divorce Attorneys | Maryland Family Lawyers | Fait & DiLima, LLP

Ask a Question
Describe your Situation Or
Request a Consultation

Please type your message below and we will get back to you asap.

Practice Area Side Form
* Required Fields
We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Latest Blogs and News

Fait & DiLima, LLP | Rockville, MD 20850 | Divorce and Family Lawyers in Maryland

Sign up for our Monthly Newsletter

Fait & DiLima, LLP | Rockville, MD 20850 | Divorce and Family Lawyers in Maryland
Sign up for our Monthly Newsletter