You never know what is going on behind closed doors. Behind the mask and smile might be a broken individual, dealing with abuse at the hands of an intimate partner. Domestic violence is a pandemic raging across the United States and across the world, affecting millions of people. No one should have to feel unsafe in their own home.
Statistics About Domestic Violence:
- Nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men
- Approximately 69.4 million people in the United States experience physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience severe intimate partner physical violence, intimate partner contact sexual violence, and/or intimate partner stalking
- Men who are victimized are substantially less likely than women to report their situation to the police
- Women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner
- 30 – 60% of perpetrators also abuse children in the same household
If you are concerned for your safety, our family lawyers at Fait & DiLima, LLP are here to to provide the compassionate and experienced legal representation you need during this difficult time. Schedule a confidential call at (301) 251-0100.
Source: National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
Source: National Domestic Violence Hotline